Community Saturation Parenting RFP
New Opportunity: Community-driven Efforts to Support Families to Increase Kindergarten Readiness
Illinois Action for Children is pleased to announce the request for proposals for our Community Parenting Saturation Project: Supporting Families to Increase Kindergarten Readiness. Two communities will be selected initially, one within the city of Chicago and another outside of the city of Chicago.
This project is privately funded by a group of philanthropic partners and is intended to start as a two-and-a-half-year project. Illinois Action for Children serves as the anchor organization for this initiative and will provide training, technical assistance, and other capacity building supports to communities awarded.
In Illinois, the jarring reality is that 74% of our children enter kindergarten underprepared*. Together, we can do better. We must do better. Our futures depend on it.
Through this project, IAFC and our grantees will:
- Demonstrate what a saturated approach within a community or network of communities might look like; and
- Test whether this approach truly leads to measurable changes in parenting beliefs and skills as well as improved educational outcomes for children in the form of kindergarten readiness.
The project engagement will take place over the course of the next two-and-a-half years. Your community should apply if you have some or all the following:
- Made supporting parenting leadership skills a priority;
- Some level of local leadership and early childhood collaborations in place already, even if not in a formalized collaboration;
- Experienced challenges around kindergarten readiness including limited access to the resources need to support kindergarten readiness;
- Foundational elements of parenting support interventions in place, or have a plan to develop them;
- A history or compelling vision for:
- Promoting parenting on behalf of early childhood development;
- Establishing partnerships among community providers related to supporting parenting activities;
- Reaching and engaging parents in difficult circumstances as a strategy for addressing inequities;
- Supporting parenting outside of typical home visiting and center-based program; and
- Investing and partnering in evaluation and continuous quality improvement.
The timeline for this RFP and community selection process is the following:
- June 29, 2020 – Release the RFP for communities to apply
- July 15, 2020 – Informational webinar on the RFP for applicants
- August 28, 2020 – Deadline for the RFP
- September 2020 – Scoring Panel meets & grant award announced
- October 20, 2020 – Mandatory orientation for awarded communities and their stakeholders (time and location will be determined at a later date)
Grant Award and Funding
Selected communities will be given capacity building and start-up time for training, designing, and planning their community parenting saturation approach. Communities should plan for at least six months of start-up time and planning for implementation.
- Start Up Phase (October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021): $140,000
- Year 2 (April 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022): $225,000
- Year 3 (April 1, 2022 – March 31, 2023): $225,000
* ISBE’s 2019 KIDS Report: 26% of Illinois Children Developmentally Ready for Kindergarten